There has been a Catholic church in Leigh from earliest times. The Domesday book of 1086 mentions Leigh or Legra as a small fishing village. Because of its excellent position on the busy shipping route to London, by the sixteenth century it had developed into a prosperous port. Now, at the start of the twenty-first century Leigh is a busy town, much expanded, and attracts many visitors throughout the year.
Our parish is dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes & Saint Joseph. It was founded in 1912 from Saint Helen's Parish in Westcliff. The church is a noble tribute to the generosity, hard work and sacrifice of generations of clergy and faithful. A history of the building. We are a thriving parish, through which the mission of the Church brings the Gospel of Christ and the fullness of Christian Truth to the men and women of Leigh-on-Sea.
We are always trying to improve, to serve our community better. In 2014 we completed a major project: the construction of the new Parish Centre.
Welcome to our community. May God bless you!
Msgr Kevin Hale