There will be a second collection next week, following all the masses, for ‘Serving the Homeless.’ This is our local ecumenical Charity which supports Homelessness projects in Southend. Please be as generous as you can.
Facts on homelessness in England in 2017, from the Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- There has been a rise of 32% in local authority ‘actions’ on homelessness since 2009/10
- 60% of local authorities are struggling to find social tenancies for their homeless clients.
- 50% find it difficult to help people into privately rented accommodation
- 85% of local authorities are finding it difficult to help single people aged 25-34 into accommodation
- 94% said that they expect the situation to get worse this year.
- The loss of a private tenancy accounted for 31% of those accepted as homeless in 2017.
- 40,000 people were evicted by private landlords in 2017; 4 out of 5 were ‘no-fault’ evictions — there was no complaint against the tenant. They were evicted because they were low income tenants and the landlords could charge more rent if they evicted them.
Serving the Homeless